First, I put my Warm and Natural Batting in the dryer for a bit to try and soften the wrinkles. The I spread it out on my ping pong table (we never play ping pong on it, I use it only for quilting purposes)
Then I spread my backing on the top of the batting. I arranged it so that there was batting showing underneath all around the edges. I smoothed it all with my hands to ensure that there were no wrinkles in the batting.
Then I folded half of the backing towards the center of the quilt, (like folding a piece of paper in half on the long side of the paper.)
Now, holding the smaller bottle of glue over the batting at about 18 inches high I began to squeeze out the glue. With constant pressure I swirled the glue about 18 inches back and forth until I had about an 18 inch square swirl of glue. It dotted and did not lie in a straight line. I did this the entire length of the quilt.
I started in the center of the length of the backing and gentle lifted and pulled it towards me. I then smoothed it down with my hand. Then I did the same thing towards the left of me until I reached the end of the row and then I did the same thing on the right side.
I made sure there were no wrinkles and hand pressed the backing to the batting.
I repeated the same actions on the other side of the table with the glue onto the batting, then hand pressing it down. The I let it dry overnight. I positioned the quilt so that the center line was on the table's middle so that there was even pressure on the quilt as it dried.
I glued right up to the edge of the quilt! When I FMQ, I work the FMQing around the edge of the quilt and quilt into the middle of the quilt. The exact opposite of most folks. I read that if you quilt was securely basted it didn't matter where you started and ended :)
It repeated the gluing and hand pressing for the quilt top. I know you can see ripples on the batting, but once the glue and hand pressing was completed the weight and pressure flattened them right out. I let it all dry overnight once again and FMQed the next day.
Here is the completed quilt, it is a Turning Thirty for my stepson in the Army up in Alaska. I made pillowcases to coordinate also. I washed the quilt in a triple washer at the laundry mat with Purex soap pucks and 2 Color Catchers. I pieced the back aka Back Art, as it is more of a scrappy quilt. I am sure he will like it! Sorry the picture is sideways, I tried to straighten it, but to no avail.