Janet's Creations

Janet's Creations
Gemma's "I Spy" hexagon quilt

Monday, January 6, 2014

Glowing Pineapple Quilt As You Go (QAYG) Original Pattern from Sylvia Q. Davis - AAQLA Quilt Show Demonstration 2013

I take no credit for this pattern, and have cited in the title
 the woman from whom I received the pattern.
There that should take care of that business :)
I did not follow the number of fabrics that she used - I used a multicolored dark blue, swirly pale blue-green and teal.
When I ran out of the multicolored blue -  I switched to purple as I wanted a large quilt (can't see doing little quilts when most everyone's beds are bigger these days.)

 The above quilt is 10 x 11 blocks for a quilt measuring 105 x 115 inches roughly


The purple fabric came into play when I didn't have enough
of the multicolored blue and 

I had already committed to the larger quilt.

 It calls for a busy backing and I chose this one.



Tutorial :)

Materials:  This is a rough estimate as I didn't think I would be doing a tutorial

Fabric A - multicolored blue - 5 yards (remember I had to swap in the purple to complete the quilt) I would buy 8 yards if I was doing it again.

Fabric B - blue green swirly 4 yards - it was an older McKenna Ryan that I got out of a discount bin. I would get 5 yards if I was going to do it again.

Fabric C - teal it came out of my stash and I am guessing maybe 2.5 or 3 yards.

Backing - I had 10 yards and used just about all of it up.

Batting - A king size very FLAT batting - I used the cut off ends from other quilts that I had made.  Warm and Natural or any 80/20 batting would be suitable.

Sashing - I used black on the front (2 inch strips) and lime green on the back (1.5 inch strips.)  I really like the solid colors from Connecting Threads and bought 5 yards of each and have left overs - likely I used under 3 yards of each color. I used the lime green for a 2.5 binding

Prep work:  Get ready to start cutting

From fabric A cut the following:
3.5 inch square - 110
5 inch square - 110

From fabric B cut the following
3.5 inch square - 110
6 1/4th inch square - 110

From fabric C cut the following
4 1/8th inch square - 110
8 inch square - 110

Backing cut 11 inch square - 110

Batting cut 11 inch square - 110

Draw an X on the back of all squares except the largest 11 inch backing square and the smallest 3.5 inch center square.  Make a small snip in the center exactly on the line.

Draw an X and a cross on the batting squares.
Place a batting 11 inch square on the wrong side of a backing 11 inch square

See examples below for placement of X's and crosses


I used a children's washable felt marker to draw the X and then the cross on the batting squares.
You want the color to wash out, especially if you use a light color center square.



This is what it will look like once it has been sewn all around the edges. I want you to see the placement of the squares, so I put it first.

1. Place a 3.5" A square right side up on the batting. Place it "square" (the tips of the center   square touch the diagonal lines.)
- Place the 3.5 " B square right side down matching the center square. Be sure all points touch the  diagonal lines.
- Stitch around the square 1/4" from the edge. Pivot at the drawn line and do not leave an opening.
- Cut only the top square exactly on the diagonal lines completely to the corners.
- Flip the triangles points out and finger press.  The tips should touch the X lines drawn on the batting.
  

It should look like this when you are done :)

Below is showing how to snip the center so you can easily cut the X on your top fabric after sewing around the edges.







2. Lay a 4 1/8th C square on top of the square on the batting - lining up the X on the fabric with the X on the batting.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Stitch around the square 1/4" from the edge.

 



Cut only the top square exactly on the diagonal lines right into the corner as far as you can snip                                         

Open the cut fabric to form the triangles.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

3. Place an A 5 " square on top of the open square on the batting as pictured below. Stitch, cut and flip again.
4. Place a B  6 1/4 " square on the
 previous square as follows and
 stitch, cut and flip.




5. Place a C 8" square on the
previous square as follows 
and Stitch, cut and flip.
You are done the block!!!!
It should look something like this - great job now on to the rest of your blocks :)   
Finishing:

  • Square up all the blocks to the same size 10" is good (I tried 10.5 and ran into some trouble I don't want you to have those worries) if you can square to 10.25 go for it - I can't do 1/4 inches.  Remember all the points are blunted - maybe some a bit more than others but all it good.
  • I used You Tube to learn how to do the joining of the blocks. Here is the link  - she does a bang up job of teaching the method I used so why re-invent the wheel.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8BLS2rNHA                                                                                                      
 Lastly, I am included Sylvia's copy of the pattern it has drawings on it that I haven't a clue how to add to this :)  Questions? Email me and I will try and help you out, okay?  Thanks for looking and good luck with all your quilting adventures!
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by and looking around. Finland is certainly a long ways away! Happy sewing to you!
    :)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Abigail,
      I am so glad you have stopped by to see what is up. Thanks for the compliment, I try real hard to do nice work.
      Janet

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your blog..especially your sewing room! I'm in the midst of trying to get some type of organization in my sewing area...I crochet as well so there is LOTS of yarn!! I use to belong to a quilt guild, but life and grandchildren happened, but happily I must add! I am wondering if you could provide me with the source of the "African Queen" quilt block? I have seen it around the web, but no source as to where to find or purchase it. My email address is reosathome@netzero.net If you can put me in the direction of this block, I would very much appreciated it! Thanks so much! Ruby Shelton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruby, I have sent by email to your addy the African Queen information!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet couldn't wait to check out your site, very impress your work is exceptional. Looking forward to getting one made.

    ReplyDelete